Monday, August 31, 2009

When

I spent a good deal of the day today looking for a gym around my office in tribeca. In my experience tribeca is probably one of the most indulgent areas in new york city. In a city known for being super expensive, Tribeca is the epitome of glitz and excess. Down here, there are models and model look alikes strolling the streets at all times. fitness is a religion, thus its hard not to be influenced by all the attention paid to shapely figures and chiseled biceps... For myself, sitting infront of the computers 9+ hours a day has taken its toll, mainly in the from of double chins and ever increasing waistlines. Although most people still think i am faily thin, i thought it was best to stop the buldge before it becomes too much. I spent about an hour visiting the various gyms and health clubs around my office. Having learned that the popular NYSC has a membership rate of 90 dollars a month, I figure its competing gyms must have a better rate. That notion couldn't be farther from the truth. After asking around, the lowest rate was 120 dollars with 200 being the most expensive. For my average income, That is an absurd amount of money shell out just for having the privilege to run on a treadmill. Perhaps if i lived closer to the work place, then i can spend the time I saved from commuting to exercise. However given the current circumstances, the alternative to paying for the gym membership is to get up earlier in the morning and run around my neighborhood. Which can become a pain in the lower area, since i get home around 12pm and waking up extra earlier is reserved for emergencies. Or i can get a car, and drive to work, thus shaving off extra time during commute and use it towards working out, which in turn can cost more money than the gym membership. Oh the dilemma of living in nyc....

No comments:

Post a Comment